Current Participant/Caregiver Questions – LifeCircles PACE
You or your representative have a right to file a complaint about anything you are dissatisfied with regarding our program or your treatment. We call this a grievance.  A grievance can be filed in-person, by telephone, fax, or mail: Muskegon
  • Phone: 231-733-8686
  • Fax: 231-332-8600
  • Mail: 560 Seminole Rd Muskegon MI 49444
  • Phone: 616-582-3100
  • Fax: 616-528-3149
  • Mail: 12330 James St. Suite H-10 Holland MI 49424
Toll Free
  • 1-888-204-8626 TTY 711
Once you have filed a grievance, we will log your grievance and respond to you as soon as possible, but no later than 30 business days from the date we receive it.
You or your representative have a right to file an appeal if LifeCircles refuses to provide or pay for a service that you feel is necessary for your health. If your team denies a request for services, payment or reduces your services, you will receive written information about the denial and how to file an appeal. All appeals are kept confidential. You may appeal to the internal LifeCircles team, or you may appeal using the external Medicare or Medicaid Appeals process. Please talk to an Interdisciplinary Team Member if you would like help filing either type of appeal. You may only file an appeal with Medicare through a member of the LifeCircles team. You can file an appeal directly with Michigan Medicaid by writing or calling the following within 90 days of the decision:

Michigan Administrative Hearing System Department of Community Health Administrative Tribunal PO Box 30763 Lansing, MI 48909 (877)-833-0870
LifeCircles is a Medicare Plan. Medicare’s privacy policy prevents personal information from being released to anyone other than the covered beneficiary. While this protects the individual, it may create difficulty for a caregiver who needs that information to help their loved one receive proper coverage and care.

In order for LifeCircles to share personal health information with someone other than the enrolled participant, a person must become their Authorized Representative.

An Authorized Representative is a person chosen by a Medicare beneficiary to help with Medicare-related matters, such as the following:
  • Researching and choosing Medicare coverage
  • Handling Medicare claims and payments
  • Appealing Medicare coverage decisions
  • Muskegon: 231-733-8686
  • Holland: 616-582-3100
  • Toll Free: 1-888-204-8626 TTY 711
  • General Inquiries:
  • Appeals, Grievances & Complaints:
  • Muskegon Site: 560 Seminole Rd Muskegon MI 49444
  • Holland Site: 12330 James St. Suite H-10 Holland MI 49424
Your satisfaction is important to us. If you are not satisfied with our program or your services please contact your social worker. We welcome the opportunity to work through your concerns with you.

If, for any reason, you do not feel LifeCircles is what you want, you have the right to leave the program (disenroll) at any time for any reason. Please notify any LifeCircles staff member if you wish to disenroll from LifeCircles. The team at LifeCircles will assist you with leaving the program.

Last Updated on December 6, 2021